[ola] Re: Moving on...

  • From: Martin Kathryn <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:56:16 +0000

I have a few activities that seem to elicit a desire for new vocab and topics.
Then I can usually find a thread to work from to get them thinking and speaking
at a higher level:

1)       a sequence story (attached example) where they have to put the pics in
order and tell what is happening. I cut out the pics and put them in an
envelope.

2)      A high interest song, such as "Oyeme," where they read through the
lyrics and ask about unknown vocab before listening/singing.

3)      4 pics, 1 word (see attached) where they get into small groups, guess
the word, and then answer increasingly more difficult questions about the topic.
These activities usually generate lots of vocab, and topics (or mini-units, if
you will) will arise naturally from them.  That's what I use to plan for the
next day/week.

Hope you find these helpful!
Katie