[ola] Re: Movies: Sin nombre & Which Way Home

  • From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:00:45 -0700

Hi Dan et al.

Yes please re-share Machuca and also Samsara if you would. If we can compile a
list, (which I think might already exists somewhere out there), of movies
appropriate for the HS classroom, I would be willing to do up a Prezi like what
Dan put together for Machuca.

Initially, when I began to stop the movie Machuca at various the parts for
questions and discussion, the students balked and asked to just watch the
movie. (Of course!) But I persisted and insisted and after a few times they
totally got into the stopping, clarifying and ensuing discussions. It also
allowed mr to pass  any questionable parts that weren't necessary to
understanding the movie. Dan did an excellent job on his Prezi, thank you Dan!

Jody

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School
>>> Call Daniel <dcall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/9/2014 6:57 AM >>>
I've used this activity in the past with "Bajo la Misma Luna."
http://prezi.com/pgr7zysoqs3g/la-misma-luna/
I usually show them the questions first, so they know what to watch for, then
play the clip, then discuss with partner, then possibly as a group.
The main idea underlying this Prezi is that watching 90 minutes of a film is
engaging, but to get the students producing Spanish and meaningful commentary,
I break up the film into smaller chunks that, after viewing, they can partner
up and talk about.  It extends the viewing out, but gets them out into a more
active interpretive mode.
I have similar activities with "Nostalgia de la Luz," "Machuca," and "Samsara"
(which has zero dialogue - entirely show, don't tell), if you are interested.