[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Lawrence McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 13:58:04 -0700

This beautiful morning we went to an new area: "Andrew Reasoner Wildlife area"
(about 8 miles out Lorane Hwy) The trail is basically a worn gravel road, wide
enough to clear the plentiful Poison Oak. This upland environment is a mixture
of conifers, oak woodland, and semi-open area. The many mature conifers were
Douglass Fir, true fir, and the valley Ponderosa Pine. We felt lucky to get
seven warblers, and surprised to find obviously nesting Willow Flycatchers
(away from riparian shrubbery). Surprisingly also, was apparent lack of
vireos, no woodpeckers (only flicker). And, no Pygmy Owl response to much
imitated calling.

Canada Goose 1
Turkey Vulture 12
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 3
Mourning Dove 1
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 2
Northern Flicker 4
Western Wood-Pewee 13
Willow Flycatcher 4
Steller's Jay 5
Western Scrub-Jay 1
American Crow 1
Common Raven 1
Purple Martin - several heard overhead
Tree Swallow - one active nest box
Black-capped Chickadee 12
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 6; one gathering food for its young
Bushtit 12
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 2
Bewick's Wren 1
House Wren 2
Wrentit 1
Swainson's Thrush 12
American Robin 6
European Starling - not many
Orange-crowned Warbler 6
Nashville Warbler 2 singing, visuals, photo
Yellow Warbler 1
Black-throated Gray Warbler 5
MacGillivray's Warbler 5
Common Yellowthroat 2
Wilson's Warbler 3
Spotted Towhee 5
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 4
Western Tanager 8
Black-headed Grosbeak 12
Lazuli Bunting 8
Purple Finch 6
Lesser Goldfinch 1
American Goldfinch 3

Jim Regali, Ellen Cantor, Judy Frazen, Dennis Arendt, Jane Bunt, Dave Brown,
Marie Royer, Kit Larsen, Richard Wright, Scott McCleerey, Chuck Thomas, and
Larry McQueen