[obol] Chat and E. Kingbird off Skyline Blvd.

  • From: "van der Horst" <kathyfrans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:40:49 -0700

Walking in a “private” young forested area at the intersection of Skyline Blvd.
and Moreland Road north of Portland this morning, I heard YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT
calling loudly at several locations both north and south of the gate. Unable to
see it. Not sure if there was one bird flying to different shrubs, or several.
Also saw an EASTERN KINGBIRD very clearly.

This was my first birding visit to this place. It’s open for day-hiking on
gravel roads. The forest is low, some patches only about 3 ft, others higher
and a few mature stands. We arrived at 7 AM and heard lots of song: WILLOW
FLYCATCHER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, WARBLING VIREO,
SWAINSON’S THRUSH, WESTERN TANAGER, SPOTTED TOWHEE, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH,
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, HOUSE WREN, to name a few. It’s a good place to practice
listening skills.

Kathy van der Horst
Portland