[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 18:35:03 -0700

This morning part of our reason for going to Diamond Hill Road was to find
Horned Larks, but they were not in evidence.  We included Gap road in checking
this area just south of Brownsville.  Some waterfowl was noticed on the two
small lakes by Diamond Hill Rd.   The list includes some new arrivals.  A
gorgeous male Bullock’s Oriole and a Western Kingbird shared the tips of the
top branches of a tall Douglas Fir, and the Yellow Warblers were heard singing
over the swishing traffic of I-5. ( in the willows and ash in the slough that
runs north of Diamond Hill Rd. and by the dirt road along the freeway).

Canada Goose - 10+
Mallard - 6
Cinnamon Teal - 4
Northern Shoveler - 15
Ring-necked Duck - 10
Bufflehead -  4
Ruddy Duck - 10
Great Blue Heron - 2
American Coot - 3
Turkey Vulture - 6
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 5
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Killdeer - 3
Wilson’s Snipe - 1
Band-tailed Pigeon - 6
Mourning Dove - 3
Rufous Hummingbird - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 2
Western Kingbird - 1
American Crow - few
Steller's Jay - 3
Western Scrub Jay - 5
Swallows were omnipresent in the following mix:
  Tree, Violet-green Swallow, Barn Cliff.
Black-capped Chickadee - 4
Bewick's Wren - 1
House Wren - 1
American Robin - 12
European Starling - small groups here and there
Orange-crowned Warbler - 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 15
Yellow Warbler - 4
Northern Yellowthroat - 3
Song Sparrow - 6
Savannah Sparrow - 18
Western Meadowlark - 6
Red-winged Blackbird - 10
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 5
Brown-headed Cowbird - 10
Bullock’s Oriole - 1
Purple Finch - 2
House Finch - 4
American Goldfinch - 20
House Sparrow - 4

Chuck Thomas, Alina Cossairt, Bryan Flahiff,  Judy Frazen, Fred Chancey, Sylvia
Maulding, Dave Brown, Ellen Cantor, Vickie Buck, Jim Ott, and Larry McQueen;
Sylvia Maulding
and Paul Sherrell went to Skinner’s Butte.