[obol] Re: Calidris ID help (Least vs. Long-toed)

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:10:48 -0700

If that is a middle toe in Ed's new pictures then it is a Least.  I do
remember Shawneen emphasizing the "J" and bi-colored bill last year, I even
have written  those notes in my guide.  But the middle toe on a Long-toed
is longer than the bill and the tarsus and this bird does not appear to
have that feature.  So those three points are strikes against a Long-toed.

Bob Archer