[obol] Calidris ID help (Least vs. Long-toed)

  • From: ed mcv <ed.mcvicker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 23:56:04 -0700

While walking along the shore of Willapa Bay near Ledbetter State Park this
afternoon, I saw a single peep pop up from the salicornia.  My first
reaction was Least (size and general plumage) until I saw its posture.
While it moved around and when still, it remained more upright than a
typical Least.  I've not seen a Long-toed Stint, but remembered that
characteristic is one of many to differentiate the two species.  Several
photos later I moved on without flushing the bird.  I've posted a few
photos this evening and would like to know if others think this bird is
anything other than a juvenile Least.

I'm not on Tweeter site but perhaps someone who is would cross-post.
Thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/sets/72157648591145497

Ed McVicker
currently in Ocean Park, WA