[obol] Re: Calidris ID help (Least vs. Long-toed)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:15:41 -0400

The following photo shows the feature that Shawneen was describing below pretty
well: http://www.birdskorea.org/Images/images2007/08/Long-toed-Stint_RN.jpg.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:39:51 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Calidris ID help (Least vs. Long-toed)
From: shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All:
I would say this is a Least Sandpiper, but this is a very difficult ID that has
stumped the best, particularly in basic plumage. Leasts can stretch up
regularly and look tall and upright which throws people off. Bob Archer brings
up some interesting points, but doesn't mention face pattern and lower bill
base color, which is the first thing I look for.
Long-toed Stints, particularly juveniles, have a different face pattern that
differs from Least in that the dark crown extends to the base of the bill and
connects with the dark eyeline, such that the white supercilium doesn't reach
the base of the bill. It creates a "J". This is less pronounced in basic
plumage. The supercilium on Least extends to the base of the bill. This bird
shows a faint facial pattern with some duskiness at the base of the bill at the
forward part of the supercilium.
The other thing is that Long-toeds usually, but not always, have a pale base to
the bill, which this bird does not and vice versa with Leasts. There is mud at
the base of this bird's bill on its right side, but not on the left which shows
the bill to be very black.
Leg length can be hard to determine because of Least's propensity to crouch.
Unless they stand up and look alert like the bird in question, seeing how long
the upper half of their legs are can be difficult to see.
The first thing I always do is hit the books and internet search for photos of
both species.
Monte Taylor has a number of photos of LTST on his website at:
http://www.tsuru-bird.net/a_species/stint_long-toed/
Years ago Rich Stallcup thought he had found a Long-toed in Marin County, CA,
which was finally deemed a Least Sandpiper. See video/blog by Keith Hansen who
took lots of video of it below. The record was never submitted as I believe it
was finally deemed to be a Least Sandpiper. But it shows just how hard these
can be.
http://thebloggerhead.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/interesting-sandpiper-has-birders-talking-learning-considering/
Off to work. No more time to contemplate this.
Shawneen FinneganPortland, OR