[networkku] Re: SA

  • From: Sigmund Lam <slam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: networkku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "PAUL HUSE" <HUSE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:09:35 -0500

>  Well, I'm pretty disgruntled with SA right now. Kavis has made a
>  bone-headed "the sky is falling" post to the raid leader ranks (which
>  will quickly filter to members). There has been some solid disagreements
>  in the O corps as to the direction of SA and while I'm not going to pout
>  because I didn't get my way, I'm in the fortunate position to be able to
>  say "I told you so" now. I've not said that... yet.

Oh please do tell! :P

>  TA has recovered from their low numbers and has recruited every
>  KT-flagged person this side of IV. IV is doing remarkably well for a
>  pre-time guild. ED is about to collapse if it hasn't already... rarely
>  more than 15 people on. Numi is in the 20-30s and SA is just a dozen
>  more than that. Pak is near-dead and CoS had a whopping 2 peeps on last
>  night. Yep, they're dead.

My experience with TA from Fan Faire is that they are a bunch of Loot whoring
Kids. I don't think I'd like TA. Given the amount of time I put into EQ2 I
don't think I'd be able to join any of the top EQ1 guilds.

>  I'm pretty anti-epic right now as a guild. I think it's a lame excuse
>  for not raiding. I'm also disgruntled with EST/CST playtime. Anyone want
>  to add/subtract from this bashing?

Considering I got to watch candidates get their epic before me even though I
was ready for my last fight before them, epic 1.5 has been a bit of a sour
point for me. However, now that I play less, I don't care as much. I can't
justify getting epic 1.5 for a toon that rarely plays so I'm not going to
bother. If it eventualy can be done entierly by the Network, I might complete
1.5.

As for EST / CST playtime, What do you mean. If you are complaining that they
don't start in the EST prime time then well that has been a perenial problem.
If raids started earlier I think attendance would go back up, but there is a
bit of a chicken and egg problem there and people don't want to bother fixing
it so raid times slip later and later.

SA has the potential of staying alive. We have or had good dedicated people. I
think people should hold tight. There will be some from eq2 and wow that will
come back. There are others that will come back if asked due to guild
solidarity.

The strength of SA has been its ability to balance RL and the Game. This has
put us in a special possition of attracting good players that cannot commit to
the 20-40 hour weeks most rade guilds ask for. However, this flexibility has
its disadvantages. We need a larger base of casual players in order to raid
every night. If people only log every other day, then we essentialy need twice
as many members as other guilds.

What has hurt SA in EQ1 is that many core players have moved to EQ2 and WoW.
The question is how badly do you want to keep their affiliation with the
guild. Pak may have low numbers in EQ1 but they have always been a multi game
guild so even if their numbers are low in EQ1 that doesn't necesarily mean
they are loosing players.

Perhaps it is time for SA to diversify.

Aneya