[muglo] Re: OS Autoconnect

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:12:45 -0400

Thanks iMary :)

> >   I can get and send mail and use the browser, it is just that I have to
> >do the Connect first using the connect  menu.
> >
> >I just bought the computer - an eMac (G4) using OS X  vers 10.1.4.  They
> >also supplied CD for vers 10.2 - why they didn't loaded I don't know?
>
>I would recommend installing Jaguar from the 10.2 CD and then using
>software update to install the combo upgrade to 10.2.6.

I will go one step further. Floormat the HD and then install OS X 10.2. If
you don't have a highspeed connection to the web, have someone else burn
10.2.6 Combo Update to disk for you.

You'll be surprised at the refinements relative to 10.1.4!

I suspect that you probably bought the 1st generation eMac (i.e. 700/800 MHz
models, smaller video card), right? That's why it would've shipped with
10.1.4 (you must've bought before January this year or else got an "end of
line" item?). 10.1.4 is what was installed in the factory and they released
10.2 after the computer had been setup. It would cost them quite a bit in
terms of labour & such to take the CPU out of the box, reformat the HD and
install the software (probably less than throwing in CDs which cost them
$0.50 each... vs. 30 mins of a techhie paid $20/hr (& if they had to open up
the computer to replace the HD the cost would *skyrocket* b/c the eMac isn't
exactly a space-aged B&W G3 or G4 tower in terms of ease of access ;-).