[muglo] Re: OS Autoconnect

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:34:03 -0400

Re: question mark: what mail programme are you using, and under what OS? It
isn't a keyboard setting per se. It's actually related to the character set
that your e-mailer uses. Some Mac (and Winblows) e-mailers are notoriously
internet-unfriendly when it comes to e-mail (the most aggravating of all are
the HTML mailers like Netscrape... ;).

Re: auto-connecting to the internet. I am afraid that you'll have to wait
for 10.3 for *easy* scripted connections to a dial-up web.

Before we start:
1. who is your ISP?
2. Do you connect only with a username and password, or did your ISP also
provide you with an OS 9 script to get connected? If you only require a
username and password jump to step 5 below.

There is hope for you if you run 10.2.4 or later (perhaps even 10.2.0)! All
you have to do is create a folder called "Somethingorother" (can't remember
name off top of my head) in the /Library folder (NOT your ~/Library folder).
In normal-speak that means:,

1. Create a folder in the HD/Library folder called "Connection Scripts", NOT
in the folder HD/Users/PaulThomas/Library!

2. Then, copy your OS 9 Remote Access script (or a script provided for OS 9)
into this folder.

3. Go to System Preferences, select Networking, select the modem from the
pop-up list.

4. Select the Options (or is it Advanced) and you will be faced with a
number of advanced settings like idle time before disconnect, etc. You
should now be able to choose a script from the Scripts menu.
Close the Options window.

5. Make sure your username and password are entered correctly in the modem
settings and you'll be off to the races.

Eric.

PS Now that I think about it, I'm fairly sure that the folder is called
"Connection Scripts" or "Connection Script" -- search the web for details.

PS 2 I have once before posted a very detailed explanation of this problem
(past 9-10 months) here, and in a variety of forums (or is that fora... not
right) on LowEndMac.com. Also, if you check out Apple's discussion boards
you will *definitely* find that people have your problem and have posted
solutions to your problem. You may even find that Apple has a knowledge base
article describing the solution by now.