[modeleng] Re: sleepers for 5" gauge track

  • From: "Dennis Rayner" <dennis.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:38:20 +0100

Just to add to Cliff's suggestion about softwood sleepers - I soaked mine in
50/50 creosote and old engine oil. I stood them on end in a "muck bucket".
Two days one way up and two days reversed. I lifted the track in September
for a house move which still hasn't happened (= nightmare) and lesson I
learnt from this was the need for good drainage. Most of the sleepers (which
had been laid in/on granite chippings over a anti-weed membrane) were
virtually as new but where soil had clogged the drainage they were
significantly degraded.

One other point is that I used 2" X 1" tanalised batten initially and its
longevity was very good but it's stability was nowhere near as good as with
my 2" deep software sleepers.

Regards
Dennis