[modeleng] Re: Topsy - to charge and how to charge, that is the question!

  • From: Peter Sheppard <peter.sheppard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:48:28 +0100

John,

Thanks for that.

I note the use of the diode, but shouldn't it be the +ive terminal to the
battery ? (the pointy end!)

With regard to the petrol/electric bit, my main concern is that when the motor
is pulling serious current (it limits at 96A on 24v dc) then the alternator
will try and fill that gap (or at least it will try until it current limits).

I only have a 3/4 hp petrol engine driving the alternator, so I have visions
that it may stall.  The only thing I suppose is to try it.  I have no idea what
the maximum charge current of a 24v alternator is - any suggestions?

Cheers

Peter

<snip>
> To prevent any external voltage source damaging the alternator such as
> regenerative braking you need a heavy current diode in the main alternator
> output connected so that its normal output current is conducted but any
> reverse current is inhibited. Just connect the diode +ve terminal to the
> alternator and the negative terminal to the load.
<snip>