[modeleng] Re: sleepers for 5" gauge track

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:19:53 +0100

Hi All,

For a length of test track why not just softwood sleepers soaked in creosote
or even tanalised wood which is supposed to last 25 years.
On my ground level railway round my garden I used second hand softwood
sleepers for the track from an old club layout, resoaked them and they are
still fine.The points were made using tanalised timber also soaked in
creosote.
For Tanalised wood go to a builders yard and investigate roofing lats.These
are rough sawn wood to which the tiles and slates are fixed and are about 2"
X 1" .

Regards

Clif