[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] 3½ versus 5

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:56:24 +0100

Hi Jem,

I think the first thing to do is decide what you intend to do with the
engine. If you intend to keep it in a showcase then your choice of gauge is
more or less determined by the space available for your showcase and the
limitations of your equipment (including lifting equipment).
If you intend to run the engine on a track then 5" is to be recommended as
31/2" is really too small to do serious work, more difficult to fire and not
elligible for the GL5 ground level events. 71/4" is often too large for most
peoples equipment and good tracks are few and far between.
Pleased to hear this question being asked before committing to cutting
metal - it never fails to amaze me how often people set off building a model
without giving sufficient thought to issues such as this.

Good luck,

Barrie Purslow,
WarringtonUK