[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] 3½ versus 5

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:53:36 -0500

Give careful consideration to potential operating locations, Jim.  Here in
the States it seems that the vast majority of clubs only offer 7-1/2" or
7-1/4" gauge track.  Some have 4-3/4" (Stateside variation of 5"), and then
there is a growing group who model to run on 1-3/4" track in various scales.
Another factor is transporting the model.  7-1/2" gauge trains generally
require a pickup truck or full size van or station wagon as a minimum, and
may well require a trailer.  Smaller scales can be carried more easily.
Depending upon the prototype, your 3-1/2" gauge loco might even be carried
in a suitcase-sized custom case.  And, as another listee pointed out, the
capacity of your equipment needs to be considered....although if drivers are
the only items out of reach for your shop, their machining might be farmed
out.  Charles