[modeleng] Tall Tales?

  • From: Roger <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Model Engineering List - Latest <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:30:13 +0000

Hi,

    I was at the local model engineering club meeting last night (that
has got model engineering into the posting!).   I was chatting to one
chap who was telling me a couple of stories which I think need some
clarification - anyone out there help me?

    Tale 1.
    It seems that one of the larger restored full-sized locos was
working hard pulling a train up Shap when a 'core plug' "came out".
Apparently it found its way into the cylinder and totalled a cylinder
and piston.
    Are there such things as 'core plugs' in old locos?    If there
are,  would they be positioned such that they could find their way into
the cylinder  and what are they like - similar to ones in a car engine?

    Tale  2.
    Another restored full-sized loco was starting a train (out of a
station?).   It lost its feet and the driver did not shut the regulator
quick enough.   The engine over speeded and destroyed the valve gear
(due to excess speed).
    Is this likely?   Surely the engine wouldn't speed any more than
when going at full speed along a straight track?

    What do the members of this list think is the true version of these
tales?   Any ideas which engines were involved?

       Cheers,

          Roger Mason,  in St. Agnes,  which is dull,  cold,  and damp.