[modeleng] Re: Tall Tales?

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:26:33 +0800

Andy,

The shape, of the piston side, on the cylinder covers, is to reduce the
volume of the compression stage of the valve timing and increase the
pressure obtained during compression so as to equal the "designed" boiler
pressure. This cussioning effect is an essential component in extending the
life of the piston rod at high piston speeds, and in the economic use of
steam. The shape of the covers was (in the late engines) designed to allow
better breathing of the ports, though sometimes this created other problems.

Cheers,

Phill.