[modeleng] Re: FW: Question about phase converters

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:13:39 +0000

Andy said:
>Regarding the "permanent installation", it could be argued that a Lathe
or
Mill is a "fixed appliance" and, therefore, should be connected to mains
electricity by the approved methods.  A 13A plug into a socket would not
be
approved, even if the M/C load did not exceed the capacity of the Plug. It
might be a mute point, however, when - as I think I said - I've seen too
many Central Heating installations, Cooker Hobs and the like so connected.
<

This is an interesting argument, because if the power consumption is such
that it can safely be powered from a 13 amp plug, it's arguable that a
lathe or mill is no more a fixed installation than a washing machine. They
all come with 13amp plugs........and as the washing machine needs
connections to water, it's more of a fixed installation than a lathe.

>By the time you read this, you'll probably be back in Swindon.  If so,
welcome home and enjoy your rest - until the next flight abroad on
business.<

Yes - until tomorrow, when I'm off again, but this time only  to Antibes
on the Cote d'Azur for a one day meeting. But it looks a bit like it
may be back to California next week. Already at  12 noon feeling the jet
lag...Yawn!

Peter Chadwick
Swindon.