[modeleng] Re: FW: Question about phase converters

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:10:06 -0800

Andy said:
>"add some plugs or switches to change machines over and build a mobile
control box to run it with" - sorry, I don't like the sound of that wrt
Safety, EMC, manufacturers recommendations, IEE Wiring Regulations, etc,
etc.<

That's a bit dependent on how it's done. I use one variable speed drive
for both  lathe and mill, since I can't use both at once.
As I said earlier, as supplied it was a total disaster - and the inverter
manufacturers recommendation about screened leads
for EMC hadn't been followed, plus the saftey issue of non-earthed metal
boxes containing switches......However, I rebuilt the
whole lot so that there are various safeguards to prevent reversal without
going through OFF, preventing the machines being
turned ON unless the appropriate start button has been pressed, and so on.
It's all run off a single 13 A plug as the motors are
relatively small. I feel confident in doing all that though, since I've
been doing electronics for the last 50 years, and a fair amount
of that at high power radio frequency. Part of which is why I regard the
new regulations as being in some cases downright
dangerous, such as in using circuit breakers on lighting circuits so that
half the house is plunged  into darkness when a bulb blows
and the breaker trips!

Peter Chadwick
Usually Swindon, San Diego this week.