[modeleng] Re: Electric Traction Problems

  • From: Patrick Coppens-Marian Lynch <develop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:45:17 +0200

Peter,
90 amps, or 90 milli-amps
The priciple is the same. Yes, you need to get into some industrial
power electronics,if need be, you have to do some parallel switching of
power components, and indeed you need more than a little multi meter,
bought for 10£
As far as your remarks go about the 'TO 220" plastic devices, you are
correct, but i am thinking of a 'SOT 227 package' that cost 20£,
switches 200 amps, can stand 600 volts over the junction (i forget the
type N°...)
And of course you will have to do some serious 'heat-sinking', but the
control circuit can be mounted on a PCB. If an optical way of coupling
the power circuit to the control unit is used, you will not have to
replace the controls but just the power transistor/triac/thyristors if
the give way...
90 amps on 12 Volts is just under 1100 watts so this should be possible...
Patrick