[modeleng] Re: Electric Traction Problems

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 06:33:12 +0100

Patrick said:
>90 amps, or 90 milli-amps
The priciple is the same. Yes, you need to get into some industrial
power electronics,if need be, you have to do some parallel switching of
power components, and indeed you need more than a little multi meter,
bought for 10£<
Very true, but the point I was managing not to make very well is that at
these sort of current levels, this is not a project for the newcomer to
power control.electronics. High power rlrctronicsd is interesting in
itself, and the related mechanical engineering problems are of interest,
too  -  the biggest things I've ever worked on were a 750kW output
broadcast transmitter, a 10MW peak output radar, and the second
transmitter to go in at Goonhilly, which took about 75kW of DC for 10kW of
RF. These days, I'm at the other end of the spectrum, where 1.8volts at
5mA is high power!

But I do feel that it's a bit too easy to under estimate the problems in
building (and testing) such a controller if you don't have some experience
in the field.

Peter Chadwick
Swindon