[modeleng] Gear cutting with a hob.

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:39:24 +0100

Hi everyone.
A Happy Easter to you all, and to your families.

Some time ago, I think in Model Engineering Workshop (or perhaps in ME) there
was a short series on gear-cutting with a hob.    I have tried to use Colin
Usher's helpful index, but am very stupid when it comes to Zip, spreadsheets
etc - put it down to my great age!    If any of you have a ready access to this
index, please give me the numbers of the MEW magazines which contain this
information.

Arc Euro have a Module 1 hob at a modest price (modest, when compared to a set
of cutters!) and I have acquired a number of Module 1 change wheels, which
would suit my little lathe now under construction.    If I was able to use the
hob, I could complete the set.    I have never used one, or seen one in action,
and I hope that this article will reveal all.    My existing ancient textbooks
only refer to using the usual 8 involute gear cutters.

Thanks for your kind help.

Cheers!   Hubert