[macvoiceover] Re: searching for text on a web page

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:18:01 -0400

The notion of "interaction" or "forms mode" on some of the Windows screen readers has always been controversial. I really like interaction as, especially when various portions of an application's UI are labeled in a manner that follows the Apple guidelines, one can find all of the major groups in the application with a good sense of adjacency, which, in turn, provides a good sense of context - one of the hardest UI problems that those of us who make a living at such have been battling for years.

Interaction permits a user to find a general area and then drill down which makes navigation about a window much more quickly and, once again if the developers followed the guidelines, user productivity will jump.

On Macintosh and iPhone, Apple has done a great job of providing context (there's still a whole lot more work to come) and I hardly see any of the Windows or orca guys really even trying (JAWS a excellent job in some applications and on sites like google docs but they hand coded for a lot of what one gets and, as a result, newer releases of JAWS will break some old functionality while providing new coolness elsewhere).

cdh
On Aug 1, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Steve Hurd wrote:

I agree, I am new to Voice over, and the main distinction is the interact commands. Although the NFB review spoke about this in a negative light I see it as a real posative as you get a clear choice as to what info you listen to. The vo voice quality far surpases eliquence or window eyes in its speach synthisis and I can really listen to VO without the raspie robotic synthasis of eliquence. Yes jaws advocates would say, but you can buy other synthosisers for windows, but buy is the operative word, you don't have to pay more for anything with vo. As David said there are certain aspects of any os ie the nature of the commands they have, ie open file, close file, cut, copy and past, so if you have experience with computers it isn't hard at all. I bought my mac book a month ago, and list members have been very helpfull to me, but I was e/mailing, opening folders and soon, within a few hours of opening the box that had my mac book in it. I intend to swap all my windows puters for Mac's in time.
Regards,
Steve

On 31/07/2009, at 10:02 AM, ashley wrote:

Yep, I totally agree with you. Personally, I used jaws before I got a Mac. And while I still use windows for most of my daily tasks, I find I'm starting to use the Mac more and it's much more enjoyable and simple.

None of this on the Mac:
"Microsoft windows dialog. Windows suffered a arer and needs to close. Harddrive formatting has been scheduled for next reboot. Send arer report button."
*smile*

ash
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marcy Weinberg" <rhymingmom1@xxxxxxxxx >