[macvoiceover] Re: installing orca on the mac?

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:03:22 -0500

Mac ports are still around (unfortunately). I say unfortunately, because things like fink and mac ports makes programmers lazy, and they figure if they can use mac ports or fink, then they need not make a native osx version, and then we're stuck with an application that doesn't work at all with voiceover at worst, or works poorly a lot of the time. Native ports are so much better, and often it takes only moderate effort to port programs directly to osx instead of using crutches like fink or macports. I've done direct ports of programs which initially used macports, and I can tell you first hand, it's really not that hard, and it prevents users from having to install several megabytes of additional crap just to run a program. For that reason, I almost always install from source when available, because I personally hate with a passion macports, because of all the trouble it's caused me in the past.

On Mar 12, 2011, at 11:58 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:

fink is still around, mac ports may be another matter though. On Sat, 12
Mar 2011, Gabe Vega wrote:

mac ports or fink if fink is still around, or grab all the dependacies and build the source, its doable to have gnome on the mac I seen it. but in that same concept and theory if you can install and run gnome then you can have orca running.
On Mar 12, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Justin Mann wrote:

How does one set up gnome on the mac?
On Mar 12, 2011, at 10:35 AM, ashley wrote:

it might, as it's possible to setup gnome on the mac.
ash

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog160:
http://www.blog160.com

On 12/03/2011 13:21, Justin Mann wrote:
Hi there,
I've got a couple of linux based programs that are ported for the mac. They work in pyton, and I think they use the gtk toolkit as far as i can tel. Voice over does not work, but is there a way that I could use orca since the mac has a unix based kernel? Is it reasonable that if I downloaded the source it would compile and run on the mac?
Thanks
Justin