[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover saying busy all the time

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:43:06 -0400

VoiceOver says that a program is "busy" basically when that program is doing a
lot of work and it isn't responding to VoiceOver's requests for info about what
it is displaying.

Put another technical way, the program is frozen/not responding. On Windows,
this would be like when a program is doing lots of work, or becomes stuck, and
the screen reader can't read anything from the window because of this.
VoiceOver doesn't seem to get stuck like many of the Windows screen readers
when applications freeze, but, when the applications freeze, it blocks
VoiceOver from reading anything in their windows.

This happens to me a lot in Safari, particularly when on sites like Hulu that
show video content. When the flash player on the page is running, it seems to
bog down Safari/make it respond slowly, VoiceOver responds slowly, and I hear
"Safari busy".

I have a MacBook Pro (2.5Ghz dual core and 4GB of RAM), so I don't know how
much more computer you're supposed to throw at it to make it run smoothly.
Maybe flash player is just a terribly written plug-in, and no amount of CPU
power and memory will help.

Bryan