[macvoiceover] Questions after playing with readiris demo

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 00:09:50 -0600 (CST)

I guess I must just enjoy adversity, because I decided to install the Readiris demo and have another go at it. I will forbear from mentioning all the little quirks of the installation process since they've already been discussed. Having had limited success following installation, I have the following questions:

(1) I realize that several people say they scan with vuescan. However, if one wanted to try scanning with readiris, how would one go about it? In the menus I can find an open but I can find no scan button either in the toolbar or the menus. Obviously I'm missing something here so could somebody tell me specifically how to get the program to scan?

(2) Once you either get readiris to scan or load something from vuescan or your hard drive, how do you get it to ocr? Will it do it automatically if you have automatic ocr checked or are there still steps you have to take? Also, to get the best ocr, what are those of you using it with vuescan using as the image or file type being fed to readiris? Ok that's three questions under the guise of one, but if I list and number them all, this is going to look like the long version of your income tax return and I'll probably be kicked off the list once people start to associate me with the IRS!!!

(3) If/when I get readiris and vuescan both working properly, and if I don't want to scan with readiris or can't figure out how to scan with readiris, how do I set up vuescan and readiris to work together. Since I haven't figured it out on my own, I probably need a pretty specific answer if possible.

Tia.

--
Cheryl