[macvoiceover] Re: Questions after playing with readiris demo

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 04:13:56 -0400

Good evening,

What does accessibility mean?

Thanks,
Everett

On 13-Feb-09, at 4:03 AM, Tim Grady wrote:

You didn't missunderstand anything, you just think that accessibility means full access, which is something you'll never see in your lifetime, so I guess what I'm saying though I shouldn't have to is that if something doesn't give you full access then you should find a way to cope unless you want to limit yourself. It's OK to ask for as much access as you can, but if you don't get what you want then find a way to do what you need.
On Feb 12, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Cara Quinn wrote:

Tim, did I misunderstand your comments?

You said-

So what's wrong with asking someboddy something? It doesn't mean it isn't accessible

This to me implies that you're saying that because one may need sighted help to access something that that doesn't make that thing inaccessible. Which prompted my note saying that the whole notion of accessibility addresses precisely that. If one needs help accessing something, then isn't that thing 'inaccessible' on one's own?…

<smile> I'm not making value judgements here, but I really am interested in your logic here.

As I'd mentioned before, isn't this the whole premise behind what Apple is doing right now for this community making their OS / products accessible on one's own?…

Anyway, thanks for your note and please do feel free to respond off list if you'd like, in case this is straying too far OT.

Have a great day!…

Smiles,

Cara  :)
---
View my Online Portfolio at:
http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Tim Grady wrote:

I don't have a problem with whether someone chooses to not use the resources available to them. Makes no difference to me, but accessible to me means something that can be accessed, and it seems to me that you can access it if you put a little work into it.
On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Cara Quinn wrote:

UH, Tim, yes, I believe it does mean exactly that. -That it isn't accessible on one's own. yes?… Isn't that the definition of 'accessible?' -That something can be accessed?…

Sorry, but this sounds simply as if you have a problem with someone's preferences on how they deal with a situation. What's fine for you may not be fine for others after-all.

In VO, this is why we have choices, because not everyone feels the same way about how something should be accomplished, but in the end, the fact that the thing *is* able to be accomplished on one's own is what broadens the accessibility of the Mac. Yes?…

Anyway, thanks for your post and have a terrific day / evening!…

Smiles,

Cara  :)
---
View my Online Portfolio at:
http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Tim Grady wrote:

So what's wrong with asking someboddy something? It doesn't mean it isn't accessible just because you have to much pride to ask some simple questions like where a button is on the screen.
On Feb 11, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Ten minutes with a sighted person describing buttons in the scanner interface? Well, if that's really how accessible it is, I'm really disappointed. It was my understanding this program was supposed to be actually accessible. Where is the scanning interface? In preferences or in settings?

--
Cheryl