[mac4theblind] Re: New member thinking of getting a Mac mini with Lion Server 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 -

  • From: Craig <facecraig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:27:13 -0500

Thanks for the response.

I was only considering Lion server as I was looking at a deal I saw on one of those machines.

·Regarding the RAM, if I configured the Mac Mini to 8 gb of RAM with the 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, would it be comparable or better than 4 gb of RAM with a 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor?*
*

*L3 cache*

6MB

On 1/19/2013 11:43 PM, John Panarese wrote:
     Welcome to the list.

Unless you have specific reasons for it or a particular need, I don't know why you would opt for Lion Server. VoiceOver is compatible, but I would think you'd want the standard OS. Again, unless you have the need and desire for a server.

Secondly, the question about the need for a monitor is a controversial one. Some will claim you don't need a monitor, while others will tell you that you do need one. From my personal experience with a July 2011 Mac Mini, I needed to trick the Mini into thinking it has a monitor for it to work properly. Without one, I had several issues that made it difficult to use.

Lastly, again, there might be debate about this, but 8 GB of RAM is better than 4. I have noticed a big difference in my most recent systems going from 4 to 8 GB of RAM in them.

Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX LION

On Jan 19, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Craig <facecraig@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:facecraig@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the list.

I am a windows and Jaws user.I am considering getting a Mac computer to learn the Apple OS and possibly making the switch.

I have iOS devices.

I am looking at the Mac mini with Lion Server 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7.

I was considering getting that computer and using my TV as a monitor.But, do I have to use that computer with a monitor?Would Voiceover still work even if I do not have a monitor connected?

What about the differences between Lion Server and regular Mountain Lion as it relates to voiceover stability?Is one preferred over the other?

I am only considering Lion Server because I could get a good deal with the Mac mini running that OS.

For faster and optimum performance, is there a big difference between 4 or 8 gigs of ram?

Well I hope I did not bombard the list with too many elementary questions.

Regards.