[lit-ideas] Re: update on the Muhammad cartoons

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:43:36 -0800

This episode is depressing because it encapsulates the ridiculosity of our
thinking.

Let me get this straight: a non-Muslim makes an unfunny joke that offends
Muslims, who respond by pointing out non-Muslims have made offensive
statements on a variety of occasions.

Non-Muslims respond to this allegation by claiming Muslims are medievalist
terrorists without a sense of humour. Muslims are non-plussed.

Non-Muslims justify their boorish behaviour by arm-waving at "freedom of
expression." Muslims grow angry.

Non-Muslims press on by claiming Muslims hate freedom and threaten their
security. Muslims grow militant.

If someone claims you've insulted them, why wouldn't you reflect on what was
said, say sorry and shut up rather than escalate the conflict by claiming they
should be thicker-skinned and that anyway you have the freedom to say what you
want?

It's like the world is being run by nine year olds.

David Savory
Vancouver