[lit-ideas] Re: update on the Muhammad cartoons

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:25:46 +0000 (GMT)

--- Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
> >I am told the cartoons are racially defamatory, and
> >find myself unable to uphold them as an example of
> >free speech (as, also, I was unable totally to
> condemn
> >our Religious Hate Speech legislation even in its
> >original form; as amended, it's fine).
>
> So their argument is: "You defame me as a murdering
> terrorist, therefore,
> I'm going to kill you if you don't desist"

I didn't say I supported threats of violence against
publishers of these cartoons.  I don't though oppose
the legal action French Muslims apparently seek to
bring or the condemnation of the cartoons' publication
by Afghanistan, or the burning of the French and
Danish flags by students in Pakistan.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry