[lit-ideas] Re: update on the Muhammad cartoons

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:41:30 -0500

Paul: So their argument is: "You defame me as a murdering terrorist, therefore, I'm going to kill you if you don't desist"

That's brilliant, that is. I'm beginning to believe more and more than Houellebeq was right on the money with his character's assessment of religion.

Sacking the French editor makes it worse. When Satanic Verses came out, I was running an independent bookstore in PA. After the fatwah, I made sure we had lots of copies of the hardback, and made a window poster advertising the fact. The chain competitors at the time, WaldenBooks and Cole's, refused to carry the book out of fear of controversy. Their spineless decision (pun intended) was good for my business, but was the first evidence in my young life that corporate business will sell out freedom of speech when push comes to shove. Of course now we have Yahoo and Google self-censoring search engines...but the Satanic Verses incident, almost twenty years ago now, was the first stand for expanded commerce versus principles of freedom.