[lit-ideas] Re: comments the DEMs must defend

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:54:07 -0500

>>In other words, tell me when it all ends. When there's nobody left to vaporise, or will there always be more?

Do you favor Rousseau over Hobbes? Many of these arguments devolve to that old contrast. Do you think the natural state of humans is peace, and war the horrible exception? Or do you think war is the status quo, and peace the cordial exception between bloodbaths?

We have lived most of our lives in the relative calm following a total defeat in World War II. It's natural that we imagine a world better even than this calm period. Yet we stand on a ladder that may quickly topple.