[lit-ideas] Re: comments the DEMs must defend

>>What surprises me most about this war is that we learned nothing from Vietnam.

We learned a lot from Vietnam.  Here are some of the less popular lessons.

* Don't fight a war unless you intend to win it. And win it quickly because the population has the patience of a sand flea with dementia (basic Powell Doctrine stuff).

* A draft army will create a hypocritical peace movement ... much to the delight of our real enemies. People are basically selfish and will concoct all kinds of idealistic motives to cover attempts to save their skins. We learned this in the Civil War and apparently have to relearn this every so often.

* The truth about a war sometimes becomes clear only decades later.

* People dress in the styles of the last time they were truly happy. (Hence so many guys who look like they came from the 70s via Time Tunnel.) Similarly, people stick to the ideologies prevailing in the last time they were truly happy. (Hence every war is compared to Vietnam.)