[lit-ideas] Re: Yahoo! Traitors with Clinton Sidebar

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:48:24 -0500

 Julie K:
> Who is the most recent President you respect, Mike?  I'm truly curious.

Recent?  I was brought up to genuflect at the name of FDR.

Ike?  Didn't he play golf?  I hate golf.

JFK?  A rich boy who was willing to end the world -- thank god Khrushchev
wasn't ready to die.  And I never have liked Camelot, sentimental schlock.

LBJ?  I respected Lyndon Johnson greatly.  If he had had to courage to withdraw
from Vietnam and concentrate his energies and monies on the War on Poverty,
this would be a different USA today.  But he didn't.  Too bad.

I have enormous respect for Jimmy Carter as an ex-President.  He's almost a
latter day St. Francis.  But his presidency never gelled.

Reagan?  Wasn't that a great eight years for the aspirations of rich white men!

G H W Bush? -- no there there.

Clinton?  A great mind.  But a moral coward.  Pity.

G W Bush?  The most pathetic of them all.

So, no one I guess.  LBJ could have been a giant had he not cut his own legs
off in Vietnam.

Mike Geary
Memphis

        Date: 9/21/05 5:47:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  > It doesn't change that Clinton did a magnificent job of running the
  > country, even in the face of mind bending hostility throughout his term.
  > He's a policital genius.

  I'm not sure I agree with you that Bill Clinton is a political genius, after
  all, he did lose control of Congress after two years in office.  He let that
  weasel little twit Newt Gringrich set the theme and tone of the mid-term
  elections.  Nor do I have much regard for Clinton's accomplishments in
  office.  To be fair, I admit that I'm on the left end of the left end of
  liberalism.  Clinton's liberalism seems much more in line with Rockefeller
  Republicanism than mainstream Democratic Party policies.  As a moral man
  Clinton has always struck me as very ordinary -- venal, vain, lecherous,
  ambitious -- like most of us.  He is said to be very impressively
  intelligent.  I have no reason to doubt that.  But intelligence without
  courage and conviction is a waste it seems to me.  Clinton did nothing to
  garner support for health care reform -- he should have moved mountains if
  necessary.  He would abandon his appointees and supporters at the first hint
  of opposition, among them: Joycelyn Elders his Surgeon General and Lani
  Guinier, nominated for Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights. I
  opposed Clinton's support for NAFTA AND GATT.  I think his dismantling of
  the welfare system in this country was morally bankrupt,  his failure to act
  to stop the genocide in Rwanda was criminal.  Had the Republicans -- almost
  to the man -- not been even more morally repugnant in their policies, and
  their attacks on Clinton so despicable and hypocritical, I would have thrown
  rotten eggs at the man.  As it is, I shake my head in sorrow, what a waste
  of talent and intellect.

  Mike Geary
  higher hopes for Hillary