[lit-ideas] Re: Yahoo! Traitors with Clinton Sidebar

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:35:43 -0400

Also in the article is that China has been globalizing for the last 29
years.  Rather than give you a pat answer, let me think about this and get
back to you.  My assumption is that, like with NAFTA, supported by all past
presidents (who one likes to think knew something), Clinton tried to
harness what was already going on with Mexico and China.  WTO or not, China
would have gotten to where it is.  The difference is that instead of
trading with us and linking to the dollar, they would have traded with,
say, Europe.  China was the pebble that turned into an avalanche.  Nobody
could have stopped it.  Slowed it down?  Maybe, a little.  Stopped it?
Never.  If nothing else, Clinton's ego would have made him not want to be
president of a banana republic.  Anything Clinton did was motivated in the
country's best interests, unlike Bush, who I firmly believe doesn't care
about the country.  Economics is one of those things that is so vastly
complicated with so many variables, many of which are unpredictable and
uncontrollable, that it's often little better than guesswork.  It's like
fighting war.  We always fight the last war, and we always go by past
economic models in a world that doesn't want to stay in the past.

Exporting call center jobs is now a serious problem (anybody see Wide Angle
with Bill Moyers?), corporate driven.  The problem is that India is
absorbing more than call center jobs.  Anything that can done on the
Internet (reading x-rays, you name it) is moving to India, and China.  Even
hands on medical care.  In the meantime, clueless Bush is working on
tearing down SS.  We need to be shoring up our educational system big time,
especially in math and science to get back our edge if not as a
manufacturing power necessarily but as a leader in technological research
and development.  I think also that American corporate CEO's who take their
companies to China should be held accountable as traitors (seriously), but
that's another matter, and it might involve working in a closed economy
which may be fantasy in today's world.  Anyway, like I said, I will get
back to you.

Regarding that I think you like Bush, that was my conclusion based on what
seemed to me to be continual excuses for him not being knowable and so on.
My apologies if you don't like him.

Andy Amago