[lit-ideas] Re: Why am I not surprised?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 23:29:39 EDT

Jews (and I have been part of a Jewish community, so I am in a position to
know) are far less puritanical about sex than Christians.  I believe the
general Jewish position (again, Jews are not a monolith), is that it is not a
"sin".  I seriously doubt, however, that any groups of Jews get together  and
discuss how they masturbate any more than any other group of people  do.  Jews
do
not consider sex shameful or dirty.  Nor do a large  percentage of Christians.
 I would love to know your cultural and religious  background.  It would help
a lot in our communication to know where the  person I'm talking to is
"coming from".

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Why am I not
surprised?  Date: 10/6/2006 10:01:33 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christians  may have screwed it up, but it still merited being put in the
Bible that Onan  was masturbating.  What is the Jewish stance on masturbation?

Do Jews get together and talk about how they masturbated the night before and
it  was *great*?  Any precedent for masturbation in the  Bible?  Given that
when the suggestion arises that Onan may have  been doing you know what, great
lengths are taken to deny it.  I suspect  that both Christians and Jews
subscribe to the very same rules about sex, which  is to say, it's dirty and
shameful but everybody's obsessed with  it.