[lit-ideas] Re: Why am I not surprised?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:21:33 -0500

JK:

God punished Onan because he failed to honour his cultural familial responsibility out of jealousy and resentment. <<

Yes, this is what I was taught by the priests. Onanism is synonymous with coitus-interruptus, not jacking off. He was smote dead on the spot by God not for spilling his seed but for breaking the traditional cultural practice. God is very conservative when it comes to Tradition. But the Catholic Church says that Onan's sin was in practicing contraceptive sex -- to hell with Jewish tradition. No pleasure outside procreation. It's the law. Natural Law, that is. And don't you dare try to remember those night emission dreams either.

And what's with all this use of the word "masturbation"? I was thirty-two before I heard the word 'masturbation'. It's a dirty word. I prefer 'self-abuse' or 'impure with myself'. But not masturbation -- it reminds me of that song from Hair:
"Sodomy, Fellatio, Cunnilingus, Pederasty
Father, why do these words sound so nasty?
Masturbation Can be fun
Join the holy orgy
Kama Sutra Everyone!"

Disgusting.

Mark Twain had this to say about self-abuse:

"Caesar, in his Commentaries, says, "To the lonely it is company; to the forsaken it is a friend; to the aged and to the impotent it is a benefactor. They that are penniless are yet rich, in that they still have this majestic diversion." In another place this experienced observer has said, "There are times when I prefer it to sodomy."
Robinson Crusoe says, "I cannot describe what I owe to this gentle art." Queen Elizabeth said, "It is the bulwark of virginity."

Mike Geary
Memphis