[lit-ideas] Re: When a civilized society fights a barbarous one

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:15:27 -0400

Ursula: And 250,000 innocent Iraqis are dead...

So, despite all the evidence that the 200,000 figure was agitprop baloney, you still repeat it because you want it to be true? Guess there is no proving conclusively that a propaganda number is false ... people come back with it months later as if it were true.

Ursula: And you obviously disapprove of the JAG who hesitated [to give the order to take out Mullah Omar].

Not really. It was a good object lesson for the process. That way, if we ever do get Bin Laden in the cross-hairs, the legalistic question will have been answered, and we can squeeze the trigger. If anything, the JAG incident shows what a cumbersome legalistic bureaucracy the military is.

Ursula: What's particularly galling about what the U.S. is doing is that so many Americans still think they're the good guys.

I think we're a bunch of guys just like the Iraqis are a bunch of guys. It must be unbelievably nasty to suffer under Saddam for decades then be subjected to an inept occupation and looming civil war.