[lit-ideas] Re: What should we call this war?

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:27:52 -0500

LH>The Bush administration probably didn't want to declare War
LH>against Militant Islam, aka Islamism,  aka Fundamentalist Islam

Terms which you, wrongly, conflate

Have C-Span 2 on in the background as I write this. They are showing a symposium of Kuwaiti women discussing their world. Several of the women make exactly Lawrence's point. It's funny in a way.

Woman 1: The Fundamentalists have a right to their opinion even if they are terribly wrong.
Woman 2: No they do not. They kill people and blow everything up and they hate art and free speech and want to hate women.
Woman 3: Yes, they do!
Woman 4: Yes, they are like mushrooms in the forest, poisonous mushrooms in the forest, and they are everywhere now!
Woman 5: Yes! Yes!
Woman 1: But that is democracy!
Woman 2: No it is not democracy. They want to kill us all. They hate democracy and equality and life itself.
Woman 3: Yes they do! They do!
Woman 4: Yes! Fundamentalists would kill us all! Yes!

Male Moderator (smiling) Changes the topic.....

[transcription services courtesy of NapTime International]