[lit-ideas] Re: What should we call this war?

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:34:00 -0500

 I think that the point is that Bush is fine with letting mega-corps owned by
and from a nation full of Islamists which (according to LH) we are war with--be
in charge of so many of our critical ports. (I think that Andreas is well aware
of the globalization of our world--more so than most of us sheltered in our
little cocoons--though on this List, many of us are more aware than most.)

An example of this is that Bush is *puzzled* by the reaction of the US people.
He can be that way because (it appears) that he is more aware of the
globalization of companies and does not see the disconnect in his rhetoric of
how he has been stressing how unsafe we are and how careful we must be in
keeping the Islamists far far away from our nation--and how these Islamists are
to be kept far far away.  --and how, because of that, the majority of Americans
who are a *little* worried/concerned about how many of Guard, Reserves, Regular
Military are in Iraq--are okay with it because they have believed him when he
has said that it means that we are keeping the Bad Guys far far away.

Then, all of a sudden we hear that we do NOT need to be concerned--and it is
because of the major corporate world.

I think the point that many people have (in a cynical manner) is that it is not
to maximize US oil interests--but to maximize the Mega-Corp Oil Interests--(and
it cannot be that it is all about global capitalism on the part of them--it's
their OWN interests--for otherwise they would not have blocked the sale of the
small oil company to the Chinese -- the contradictions in regards to the global
corporate world are simply incredible)

It's like you once said--if it is to do with our national interest, we are to
be patriotic. If it is to do with mega-global corporate interest, we are to be
members of the wider global community.

And it is like Bush is wanting us to go with whichever he says--even though the
contradictions as simply a bit much even for the majority of people who really
would like to be in the first part of your poem and how they really just want
to live a regular life and trust that when they put someone in charge of a
project (ie running the war on terrorism) that he'll do his job well. (btw, I
did like your poem--though I think you even didn't really understand that has
to do with what part of the fabric that an individual's calling/gifts are
for--I think that some people's gift/calling/talent is to be more 'soulful' as
I think it is James Hillman talks about. That some people really are meant to
hold together a square of our quilt--while others of us are to be the threads
that tie the different quilt blocks together --- )

Speaking of war--this is an interesting lecture/talk in NYC that I would be
interested in knowing the thinking behind...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

Evening Lecture with Jason Shulman
"The Value of War: A Kabbalistic Perspective on Conflict"
Thursday, March 2, 2006
New York City, New York
92nd St. Y
Warburg Lounge
1395 Lexington Ave. at 92nd St.
New York, NY 10128
Evening Talk: According to the Kabbalah, conflict is one of the basic building
blocks of our universe. Yet conflict often degenerates into war. How can we
return conflict to its true origin as one of the positive ingredients in
Creation? This talk will focus on God, healing and our capacity to live a truly
human life.