[lit-ideas] Re: What should we call this war?

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:38:15 -0000

This White House has drained the federal treasury -- pushed the poor, the
disabled and handicapped off their welfare programs, cut benefits for veterans,
cut education (the biggest cut in its history), ravaged the environment, set up
an RX pgm for the elderly  which is largely a welfare program for
pharmaceutical companies

That RX program is extraordinarily bad and your Government appears, unlike
ours, to be impervious to pressure.

Here, e.g.s:

Some women here were being denied Herceptin on the NHS for early stage breast
cancer -- it isn't yet licensed here for that but cost was the real reason.
There was a high-profile row and first England, then Wales, gave in within
weeks and said all women should have it.)

Blair privatized the supply of oxygen on the NHS (it was still on the NHS, but
the supply method was privatised) whereupon patients found they couldn't get
oxygen in time.... He backtracked immediately the problems became an issue.

So while we're going down the same road as you at least protest here sometimes
has an effect...

(Apparently Save The Children Fund now works in East Kentucky.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff