[lit-ideas] What should we call this war?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:29:40 -0800

To a large extent the message train, "who do you support in this war?"
didn't result in a serious discussion.  After 9/11 I discussed at
excruciatingly great length how we were at war with Islamists and not
terrorists.  The old-timers are intimately familiar with that discussion and
are bent on jerking me around rather than respond seriously.  If I get
side-tracked into saying again what I said back in 2002 then I won't keep
asking them who they are supporting in this war.  The discussion has moved
away from my question into a quibble.

The quibble is interesting, but it deserves a different title; so I've given
it one.

The Bush administration probably didn't want to declare War against Militant
Islam, aka Islamism, aka Fundamentalist Islam because it would sound too
much like we were going to war against a religion.  The Islamists could
declare, as have anyway, that we are taking up the Christian Crusade once
again.

The Islamist ideology is well known.  I described it recently (once again)
and so won't do it in this note.  The Shiite Islamists using Khomeini's
ideology want to export their "Revolution" until they achieve a Pan-Muslim
ummah; however the element not to be compromised (for Shiite Iran) is a
strong Iran.  If Iran becomes strong enough then the Revolution can be
exported in accordance with Khomeini's original intent.

The Sunni Islamists are also taking what they can get in the Middle East but
their goal is the World and not just an Ummah in the Middle East; at least
that is the goal that Sayyid Qutb voiced.

My impression is that Iran while hoping to export their revolution, is
taking a stance like Stalinist Russia.  They have a nation they feel they
can make strong.  If they can get nuclear weapons then no one will have the
courage to thwart them; they can then concentrate more securely on exporting
their Revolution.   They understand the lesson of Saddam quite well.  He
made his move toward a Pan-Islamic State before he got his nuclear weapons
and the U.S. stopped him.  Iran has been much more cautious.

The Sunni Islamists strike me as taking a Trotskyite approach.  For them,
there is no one nation to be preserved, no mother Russia.  For them there
are no national boundaries, only the ummah and they have the ability to
launch attacks from many parts of it.

The tactic the Islamists (both Shiite and Sunni) use is asymmetric warfare.
They use modern explosives and inexpensive true-believing transporters to
deliver their weapons.  They cannot deliver serious attacks against military
installations, but they can terrorize civilians in virtually any nation.
And the civilians pay for the wars their militaries fight.  The civilians
are far more timid than the military; which is something the Islamists have
long known.  They will be the ones begging their politicians to put a stop
to the attacks; whatever it takes.  We have seen the effects.  For example,
a hard-line Spanish leader was removed from office because the Spanish
civilians wanted the Islamists to quit attacking them.  The new Spanish
leader was much softer on Islamism.

Something like this went on during the Cold War.  We said we were fighting
Communism.  We were fighting the ideology that inspired the Communist
revolution in Russia, and we were fighting against a similar sort of tactic.
Communists would infiltrate a nation, contact the Wretched of the Earth, and
attempt to get them to overthrow their government.  This sort of revolution,
an Islamist Revolution, was to be the first step in creating a unified
Ummah, but it only succeeded in one nation, Iran.  The Islamists had high
hopes for other nations, but nothing else has succeeded. So the Islamist
Revolution has not gone as well as the Islamists of either hue had hoped.

But days are still young, and the confused decadent West may allow Iran to
get its nuclear weapons.  Iran is prepared to show the world that they know
how to use them.  I don't mean they will actually use them.  They will use
them to force the West to leave them alone while they engage in some serious
Revolution exportation.  They aren't hurrying to get their nukes with any
hope of matching the American arsenal.  All they want is to follow the North
Korean plan.  They feel nukes will make them invulnerable to American
interference.  They are in a very different environment from North Korea,
however, which is an Asian pariah.  Iran is not a pariah.  It is in the
midst of significant sympathy - lots of Arab Islamists who share similar
views, and since Khomeini, Iran has been downplaying the difference between
Shiism and Sunnism.  Iran has the means and experience to export their
Revolution big time if only they can keep the U.S. from invading them the
way they invaded Iraq.  So this war is against Islamism in the same way the
Cold War was against Communism.

Another similarity with the Cold War is that our press has been preempted.
It has taken sides with the enemy, but with far less justification.  In the
West there was a love affair with Marxism and the Soviet state that
epitomized the Marxist ideal.  Many retained that love even when Stalin
destroyed it for most Western intellectuals. It was transformed into a more
acceptable form, that emotion, during the Vietnam War because there was no
need to demand a love for Communism, only a hate for the opposers of
Communism.  That hate, perhaps was not based on anything capable of
analytical justification and so remained available.  It could be reawakened
by this new opponent of the West, the Islamists.

The propagandists don't need a coherent argument that stands up to analysis.
They just need an event that puts the West in a bad light.  They can then
promote the event as though it stands for the entire West, its attitudes,
its mores.  We have seen the same approach being used for the Islamist
cause: the flushing down the toilet of a Koran, a few soldiers messing with
prisoners in Abu Ghraib, a few cartoons.  It is enough . . . but is it?  The
Abu Ghraib business was in keeping with the Communist cause celebre, but a
Koran going down a toilet in Guantanamo and some cartoons in Denmark?  The
old Leftists can't really get their teeth into cartoons.  The burning of
embassies over cartoons is too alien for even the most confirmed Leftist.
The Islamists may be hurting an important part of their base with such
tomfoolery.  Unfortunately for the Islamists, they can't help it. They were
converted to Fundamentalist Islam and they are now True Believers.   Such
matters as the cartoons may eventually cause the Leftists to give up on
them.  We shall have to wait and see.

Like the writer of the "Gramscian Damage" article, I think the West will
eventually win, but it is much too soon to be sure of that.  We have a bunch
of weapons we can't use, and the populace is verrrrrryyyy slow to recognize
that we are at war.  And the War we are fighting isn't like the old wars so
they don't like it.  And the Leftists among them never accepted the
anti-Communist view; so that parallel does more harm than good.  This
populace is well-fed, spoiled, petulant and not at all cooperative.  Who are
these Islamists?  We don't see any stinking Islamists?  We don't believe
there are any.  It might take a long time to get past all of that.  Thus,
the Islamists have a chance - not a very good one - but a chance.

So what should we call this war?  We should call it the War against
Islamism.  They have banged much more than a shoe against a table as they
promised to bury us.

Lawrence