[lit-ideas] Re: Understanding Why The Compressor Shorted To Ground

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:06:51 -0800

Eric wrote that Walter (not being a classicist) asked

Not being much of a classicist, the reference escapes me. Where does the paradox initially rear its ugly head?

and answered

I did a little searching. It's my misconstrual of Buridan's thirteenth
sophism.

A = "I know the compressor shorted to ground is false."

A isn't well formed. 'Is false' refers to a sentence or proposition or statement, namely 'the compressor shorted to ground.' What is known is that the sentence 'the computer shorted to ground' is false. Thus
A (rewritten) is

I know that 'the computer shorted to ground' is false, a fancy way of saying, 'I know the computer didn't short to ground.

So there are two sentences, one embedded in the other.

A. I know 'the computer shorted to ground' is false.

and

B. "I know 'the computer shorted to ground' is false."

C. The computer shorted to ground.

D. I know it.

C and D are, of course, different sentences. Peter Geach was fond of posing Buridan's sophismata as if they were items likely to appear on the SAT. Nobody bit.

Robert Paul