[lit-ideas] Understanding Why The Compressor Shorted To Ground

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:24:18 EST

Geary says:

>God wanted it that way.

-- and it's true -- and while teleological explanations are conceivable,
they are neither here nor there. We are discussing the conceivability of
concepts (conceptus --> conceive, v.)

Notably, the exchange:

     A: The compressor shorted to ground.
     B: I don't know what a compressor is
         I don't know what to short  is.
    A: You don't know shit.
    B: :-)
    A: So?
    B: Are you _explaining_ me?
    A: Well, let McEvoy do that.

MCEVOY enters with an attitude,

     McEVOY: Mind, I don't have the time, nor the  sexual inclination, but
I'll help you guys out.
     B: That's a delight to hear.
     McEvoy: It's all guesswork. Guess ... Guess ...  Guess ...
     R. Paul: Perhaps we can adapt the example in  Reichenbachian terms
            (gets  chalk and writes on board)

                       PREMISA MAIORIS:
                               All compressors short to ground when [God
wants that]
                                                                  or other
hypothesis
                             And  God wanted this
                               __________________________________

                              Ergo, this compressor shorted to ground.

      McEvoy: Right. It's all mechanical and  causal.

Phil Enns (in Indonesia, via telegram):

            "I  object"

Geary: What did he say?
Paul: He says he objects.
Geary: Maybe we should give him the opportunity through the phone.

(They dial Indonesia)

ENNS: "Knowing that the compressor shorted to ground because God wanted it
is inconceivable unless the knower _knows_ what a compressor is, and what to
short is --)

JLS: I would refer to the attributive/referential. I can say, "I know what  a
cow is, although I never saw one -- Just hearsay. In other words, I _heard_
what a cow is."

Yost (as an aside): He is quoting from the Homeric hymn.

Etc.

J. L. Speranza
            Buenos  Aires, Argentina

products.