[lit-ideas] Re: Turning the tables...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:44:00 -0500

I don't have time for all of this, but a few points...

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Well, yes of course Bush sounds good because he is an ordinary human made up of the same things we all are. He is a pretty good person. I don't trust the evidence of the conspiracy theorists who claim to be able to read his mind and know what he /really thinks/.

I don't trust the evidence that Bush is a 'pretty good' person...

I don't believe in conspiracy theories that create monsters out of individuals or classes of people. Bush is fairly sentimental about the weak, injured, and helpless. He isn't nearly as conservative as the far right would like.

I can't actually picture Bush crying about the weak, injured and helpless -- even the ones here, never mind the ones in Iraq.

Your facts are not correct in regard to Saddam Hussein. I read what our people thought at the time. They called him a thug.

I called him a bad guy. That's close enough to thug. I said they didn't mind his thuggishness in their service...not that they didn't recognize his thuggishness.

The only reason they supported him was because they figured Khomeini was a worse thug. By “our people” I mean the people in Washington. Out in the field many of our diplomats were “Arabists,” meaning they had fallen in love with the people they were stationed with. That was true of our Iraqi ambassador, April Glaspie, as well.

They went 'native'?

And no Iraq under Saddam was not a counterweight to Islamism. Saddam supported the Islamists. He paid the families of every successful suicide bomber -- $25,000 if memory serves me. Since Saddam is no longer in the terrorist-sponser business, Iran has taken that particular service over. Iran rewards such families $50,000 for each successful suicide bomber.

He paid them because they were Arabs fighting Israel and because Israel bulldozed their houses and...

By benign dictators, the advisors had some existing ones in mind. I believe Morocco or Tunisia and one of the Gulf States served as a model. They thought that Afghanistan and Iraq should be patterned after those governments. Bush disagreed and chose democracy instead.

You really think that Bush even knows what democracy is? So why is he opposed to Hamas -- they were democratically elected, no?

As to your suggestion that we have been controlling the various Middle Eastern nations and doing all sorts of rapacious acts, that isn’t true. We made deals with dictators during the Cold War, but after it was over, we reverted to type and left the Middle East. We took a peace dividend and emasculated the CIA. We didn’t even do too much when terrorists killed our ambassadors and businessmen. The Muslim children have learned to hate us because they were taught to do so.

And they were taught so, why? Because we are free?

That was a function of the madrassas. They are also taught a variety of conspiracy theories which they believe as well.

As to controlling profits of benign dictators, that simply isn’t true. These nations are independent of us. We don’t have all that much to do with Tunisia and Morocco.

They don't have oil, do they?

We do in some of the gulf states

They have oil, don't they?

but we don’t control the situation. When the Saudis insisted on certain behavior we complied.

They insisted for public consumption and we complied because we don't want them to be toppled.

When they wanted us out we went.

After we had Iraq to move the military to. And I don't know that we're out completely.

When they decided they weren’t going to help us find Al Quaeda members we gritted our teeth and backed away.

The 9/11 pilots were all Saudi. I don't remember any great gnashing of teeth. We just decided they were all in Afghanistan.

Our control over Saudi Arabia is in terms of “we can protect you if you want our protection.” It is in our interest to keep the oil flowing and in their interest to be protected from their local enemies like Iraq and Iran.

And their local Saudi enemies.

Social Scientists and anthropologists tell us that the people over there are not just like us. They have different presuppositions, different traditions. Their religion includes the Jihad. It is good for them to kill enemies and infidels under certain circumstances and thanks to Khomeini and Qutb those circumstances have been enlarged and increased.

These things don't come from nowhere. The west has been meddling in their affairs, propping up evil regimes and not caring about the consequences. We're reaping the whirlwind...

As to the mission to make the world safe from democracy, yes I think a lot of people would like to do that.

Nice Freudian slip....safe from democracy....

This concept was created by the democratic president Wilson and he attempted to apply such principles in the aftermath of World War One. The people back home however leaned more toward isolationism and defeated his attempts to get us into the League of Nations. Later day Wilsonians are called Neocons

What??

and they would like to see us do everything possible to foster Liberal-Democracy throughout the world. As it turns out there aren’t many Neocons. The reason we went into Afghanistan and Iraq wasn’t to spread democracy but to combat an enemy who had declared war against us.

Neither Afghanistan nor Iraq did any such thing.

But since we had to change their regimes, democracy was chosen as the ideal replacement.

As to Bush being inherently Wilsonian, that isn’t true.

Who said it was? Certainly not me...

He opposed Clinton’s Nation Building (democracy spreading) efforts during his regime. One of Bush’s platform planks was that he would not engage in nation building. However, events overcame him.

Lawrence

Ursula, watching the first of thirty centimetres of snow fall...