[lit-ideas] Re: Turning the tables...

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:48:24 -0500

David:
Folk songs, Phillips said, belong to everyone...but the Republicans
have none.  I thought back to L.A. when Reagan was first elected.
There was a ball in one of the downtown fancy hotels.  People in suits
were singing; they felt the need to celebrate.  What did they sing?
"This land is your land, this land is my land..."

Can you imagine?

Stan:
That Republicans would sing "This land is your land, this land is my land..." certainly makes the Reagan era seem much friendlier than the present. I can't imagine Republicans singing such a warm and inclusive song now. What a contrast! How we've deteriorated! In a day when the Attorney General thinks the President is above the law and billions of dollars are being cut from social welfare programs for the poorest of the poor, this is not a song the current Republican party would ever be caught singing.

Of course, the Reagan era paved the way to this Bush era, but will there ever be a time when both parties will be concerned with making the lives of Americans of every stripe better? I don't see that in the near future. The GOP has grown too mean-spirited to see that happening.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon