[lit-ideas] Re: Turning the tables...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:30:22 -0800

On Feb 5, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Ursula Stange wrote:

You've been to Tobermory?  Do tell...
U in North Bay...watching the snow fall for the second day...

David Ritchie wrote:
You guys have a Tobermory!
The original is one of my favorite places.

The original Tobermory is on the Isle of Mull.

The first time I was on Mull, my family rented a cottage on the Western side of the isle, far from electricity and telephones, but near a golf course with an "honesty box"--into which one deposited the green fees--a herd of Highland cows, many sheep. We drove into Tobermory for groceries. The store was one of the old-fashioned kind; you waited in a queue and then the assistant collected what you wanted to buy. I recall the following exchange:

Me: A pound of cheddar and, do you have baked beans?
She: They didn't come in on the boat.  Peas are very nice.

We attended a ceileidgh in a church hall with a sprung floor, one designed to move up and down with the dancing. The minister kept a stern eye out...inside...the four walls. His blind eye was reserved for what went on outside the building, where the bottles were passed around.

Having been once delighted by the place, I took my then girlfriend and future in-laws in the summer of 1978. The rain tipped down the entire time we were there; visibility was reduced to feet.

As you can see in this panoramic image, there's not a lot of Tobermory:

http://www.tobermory.co.uk/panorama/panorama_tobermory_waterfront.htm

Maybe one day I should try your version?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon