[lit-ideas] Re: Turning the tables...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:08:09 -0800

On Feb 6, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Stan Spiegel wrote:

David:
What did they sing?
"This land is your land, this land is my land..."

Can you imagine?

Stan:
That Republicans would sing "This land is your land, this land is my land..." certainly makes the Reagan era seem much friendlier than the present. I can't imagine Republicans singing such a warm and inclusive song now.

I haven't conveyed my point. I didn't understand them to be being inclusive at all. What I heard and saw was a re-interpretation of the song; a bunch of young rich guys who were singing that they, and folk of their ilk, had taken over the country. The "you" and "me" were limited, by gestures, only to those present.

Woody was revolving in his grave.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon