[lit-ideas] Re: Tune and Turn Off - Panic Attacks

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 17:14:45 +0100

Clark found that a non-catastrophising explanation markedly reduces
> the incidence of panic attack in susceptible patients when they are given
> lactate - a result hard to explain in biological rather than cognitive
terms.

Not for the many of us who believe in mind-body interaction -- or the many
doctors
who believe in a dual approach to the treatment of "psychological"
disorders.

Incidentally the thought that panic attacks are anticipatory fear
is rather old. I realise David Clark isn't saying precisely that, still...

Judy Evans. Cardiff